83% of applicants want new settlement zones in RP 21

PANJIM: Even though there has been a hue and cry across the State to de-notify or to scrap the Regional Plan 2021 (RP21), the reality appears to be different. Nearly 83 per cent of the comments or suggestions received from the public are requests for new settlement zones in the land plan. Merely seven per cent have demanded that the plan be scrapped or cancelled.
On December 1, 2015, the department of Town and Country Planning (TCP) had opened the land plan for fresh public suggestions and comments to make necessary changes in the RP21. The department received 5,940 applications with people’s comments, views and suggestions. The maximum numbers of applications were from Salcete and Bardez talukas.
Sources said that of the 5,940 applications, 24 per cent have asked for old and new settlements in ECO1 zone and 59 per cent for new and old settlement in Non-ECO1 zones. “Total 83 per cent have asked for new settlements,” sources said.
The demand for new settlement zones is on the higher side compared to 2011, wherein of the 3,600 applications received, 48 per cent had asked for settlement zones in ECO1 and non-ECO1 zones.
Further, around 7 per cent of the suggestions are in regard to new roads as well as widening of existing roads, so as to facilitate development projects. “The demand for cancellation or scrapping of the land plan is only 7 per cent,” sources said. The fact is interesting as, under RTI in 2011, of the 189 village panchayats nearly 161 VPs had asked for scrapping of the RP21.
“TCP has also received applications for new mining areas in the mining talukas,” sources said.
When contacted, Chief Town Planner S T Putturaju, refusing to disclose details said that all the facts would be placed before the State Level Scrutiny Committee (SLC), which is likely to be headed by CM Laxmikant Parsekar.
Deputy Chief Minister and Minister for TCP Francis D’Souza had on Monday announced that by May-end nearly 50 per cent of the RP 21 would be notified.